- The name of the Federation shall be the “International Federation of Swimming Teachers’ Associations Limited” (IFSTA).
- As an international, worldwide and non-profit making federation the IFSTA is dedicated to reducing deaths by drowning. Therefore the objective of the IFSTA is: “To promote internationally, the highest standards in the teaching of swimming and survival techniques.”
- In furtherance of this objective, but not further or otherwise, the Federation may
- Without distinction of age, sex, race, politics, religious or other opinion, by associating and co operating with statutory authorities, voluntary organisations or individuals in common effort to advance the education, training and teaching of swimming and other survival techniques.
- Promoting, or assist in promoting, water safety education and the teaching of swimming and survival techniques to the highest international standards.
- Encouraging and enabling the development of the Federation throughout the world.
- Promote and carry out, or assist in promoting and carrying out research, surveys and investigations and publish the useful results thereof.
- Organise or assist in organising meetings, lectures, classes and exhibitions, and publish or assist in publishing reports, periodicals, recordings, books or other documents or information.
- Obtain, collect and receive money by way of grants, donations, bequests, legacies or other lawful method, provided that the Federation shall not undertake any substantial permanent trading activities and shall conform to any relevant requirements of law.
- Recruit and train volunteers with relevant skills to carry out the objects of the Federation.
- Employ and pay any person or persons, not being a member of the Federation to supervise, organise and carry out the work of the Federation and make all reasonable and necessary provision for the provision of remuneration to such employees.
- Support any charitable trusts, associations or institutions formed for the promotion of similar objectives.
- Do all such lawful things as may be necessary for the attainment of the Federation’s objectives or any of them.
- The IFSTA is a UK registered “not for profit” company limited by guarantee.
- The IFSTA Logo is the copyright of STA (UK) that is on permanent free loan to IFSTA. The various members may have their own logos.
- To comply with UK Company Law the Directors of the IFSTA shall be the CEO and secretary of IFSTA, both of whom shall be from the UK, and a member of IFSTA Ltd elected by the Council.
- The members of International Federation of Swimming Teachers’ Associations Limited will be the full voting members as defined in 4 below.
- Where the STA UK makes a charge for services provided to the IFSTA it will be on the basis of cost recovery only.
- Membership of the Federation shall be open to all organisations or associations who support the Federation’s objectives, irrespective of ethnic origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age or politics, but subject to such terms and conditions as the Council may from time to time decide.
- There shall be three categories of member, FULL, ASSOCIATE and CORRESPONDING.
- Following receipt by the Chief Executive Officer of a valid application form, together with the joining fee and first years annual fee, the Council shall, having considered the application and all relevant information, at their sole discretion, grant any one of the three categories of membership to the applicant with such conditions as the Council may decide.
- Council may request such further information as they deem necessary in relation to the syllabi, assessment methods, standards, qualifications and public standing of members at any time.
- Any member may be permanently excluded from the IFSTA by SPECIAL RESOLUTION OF THE COUNCIL, if in the opinion of Council, said member has failed to maintain the standards on which the decision to admit them to membership have not been maintained.
- Reference to Nations within this constitution shall refer Nations as defined by the United Nations.
- Full Members
- Full Members shall only be organisations or associations that are nationally recognised as being organisations concerned with swimming teaching, aquatic teaching, lifeguarding and lifesaving.
- There shall only be one FULL MEMBER organisation representing any one nation.
- Full members may appoint ONE representative to sit on Council and they shall have ONE vote on Council.
- Full Members may appoint ONE observer to attend Council meetings, but they shall NOT have a vote and may only speak at the discretion of the Council.
- Full Member observers WILL have a vote at Annual General Meetings.
- Full Members shall have a maximum of TWO votes at Annual General Meetings
- Associate Members
- Associate members shall be substantial organisations or associations concerned with the teaching of swimming, lifesaving, lifeguarding or other aquatic survival skills, but who are not nationally recognised within their own country.
- Associate members may represent a county, region or state within a nation.
- Associate membership may be granted by Council to an applicant organisation where there is an existing FULL MEMBER.
- Associate members may attend Council Meetings as observers and may only speak at the discretion of the Council.
- Associate members may NOT vote at Council.
- Associate Members will have a maximum of ONE vote at Annual General Meetings.
- Associate Members may submit items for consideration by Council and may speak to the proposal if invited by Council.
- Corresponding Members
- Corresponding Members may be individuals, small organisations or associations, in countries where the National Association is a full member of the IFSTA.
- Corresponding Members shall NOT be entitled to appoint representatives to Council
- Corresponding Members shall NOT be entitled to a vote in Council
- Corresponding members may attend IFSTA Conferences.
- Corresponding Members may NOT nominate an observer to Council.
- Full Members
Regional Associations and Regional Presidents
- Regional associations will be formed to represent the interests of the members in the regions and to promote closer co-operation within the region.
- There will be four regions of the IFSTA:
- Asia – Pacific
- The Americas
- Rest of the World
- Initially the regions Americas, Europe and the Rest of the World will form 1 region to be subdivided as membership grows.
- Each Regional Association will elect a Regional President and a Regional Vice President from amongst the representatives of the FULL members within their region.
- Vice Presidents shall be elected by e-mail; the procedure will be:
- The Regional President shall call for nominations from the Associations within the region giving 21 days notice.
- An Association can only nominate one person; the person nominated must write to the Regional President confirming their acceptance of the position if elected.
- The Regional President shall circulate amongst the Associations in the region a voting paper giving details of the persons nominated and the proposing Associations.
- The Associations within the region shall be given 21 days to respond by e-mail direct to the Regional President indicating their preferred candidate.
- In the event of a tie the Regional President will have a casting vote.
- The Regional President shall promptly advise the IFSTA CEO and all IFSTA members of the result of the vote.
- Vice Presidents shall be elected by e-mail; the procedure will be:
- A Regional President once elected, shall hold office until they have completed a term as President of IFSTA or their nomination is withdrawn by their own Association, or they are removed by vote of Council for Misconduct or other serious reason which might reasonably be considered to bring the IFSTA into disrepute.
- A Regional Vice President once elected, shall hold office until they assume the office of Regional President or their nomination is withdrawn by their own Association, or they are removed by vote of Council for Misconduct or other serious reason which might reasonably be considered to bring the IFSTA into disrepute.
- If a Regional President is unable to carry on in office the Regional Vice President will assume the office of Regional President.
- Regional Presidents will become Vice-Presidents and Officers of the IFSTA.
- Only representatives of Full members within a region can be elected as a Regional President.
- Membership of the Regional Associations is limited to members of the IFSTA.
- Minutes of all Regional Association meetings shall be circulated to the IFSTA CEO within 28 days of the meeting.
- The Council of IFSTA shall exercise the powers of management of the IFSTA in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution.
- The Council of IFSTA shall be comprised of ONE representative of each Full Member.
- The number of Members of Council shall be limited to 20. In the event of Membership exceeding 20 full members, there shall be a ballot to decide among the non officer representatives, to fill the balance of positions on Council subject to the maximum of 20.
- Nominations of candidates to fill positions on Council MUST be received by the CEO at least ONE MONTH before any election of members to Council
- The Council of IFSTA shall meet at least once a year.
- A Full Member may change their nominated representative at any time, subject to formal written notice being sent to the CEO at least ONE MONTH before any meeting of Council.
- The Council may make such regulations, as they consider appropriate for the efficient conduct of any business of the Council and the Federation.
- The Council may appoint such sub-committees, advisory groups or working parties of their own members, and other persons as they may from time to time decide necessary for the carrying out of their work, and may determine their terms of reference, duration and composition. All such sub-committees shall make regular reports on their work to the Council. All such sub committees shall be chaired by a Member of Council.
- The proceedings of Council shall not be invalidated by any failure to elect or any defect in the election, appointment, co-options or qualification of any member
Notice of Council Meetings
- Proper notice of the convening of a Council Meeting shall be served to all Members of Council by letter, e-mail, or facsimile at least 21 days before the proposed date of meeting.
- Copies of Minutes, Resolutions or Special Interest Papers shall be served to all members of Council with the official notice of meeting at least 21 days BEFORE the meeting.
- All correspondence shall be forwarded to the last address notified to the CEO.
Voting Procedures for Council
- Voting at Council meetings when required, shall be by simple majority (50.1%) of the Full Members present and voting in relation to normal business.
- In the absence of the nominated Full Member representative on Council, the Observer member from that Full Member, if present, may exercise the vote of that Full Member PROVIDED that such a change of representation has been communicated to the CEO at least 48 hours before the meeting by email or facsimile or phone text.
- Proposed changes to the Constitution shall require a 75% majority of Full Members present and Voting.
- Proposals to exclude any Member shall require a 75% majority of Full Members present and Voting.
- In the event of an equality of votes cast the President or his/her substitute shall have a second or casting vote.
President of the IFSTA
- The President of the IFSTA who shall be elected by the Council from amongst the Regional Presidents.
- The President may serve for a maximum period of TWO consecutive years.
- The Regional President for Asia – Pacific shall succeed the current President in 2010.
- The Regional President for Europe and the rest of the World shall succeed the Regional President for Asia – Pacific in 2012 as President of IFSTA.
- The position of President of the IFSTA shall thereafter, rotate amongst the Regional Presidents.
- The President shall chair all meetings of Council of IFSTA.
- The President shall be an Ex Officio member of all committees or working groups established by Council.
- In the absence of the President or in the case of withdrawal of the President from a Meeting because of a conflict of interests in a matter under discussion, the designated next President of the IFSTA shall preside over the meeting. If neither the President nor incoming President is present, those Council members present may elect one of their numbers to chair the meeting.
Chief Executive Office of the IFSTA (CEO)
- The STA UK will provide a member of Staff to act as CEO of the IFSTA.
- The CEO will undertake the day to day administration of the IFSTA.
- The IFSTA shall agree to pay a fee to be agreed, to STA UK for the services of the CEO.
- The CEO shall be the accounting Officer for the IFSTA and he/she shall maintain the accounts of the IFSTA.
- The CEO shall be responsible for circulating information and notifying members of meetings/times and dates.
- The CEO shall be responsible for ensuring UK Company Law requirements are met.
- The CEO shall be responsible for such other duties as Council may decide.
- The CEO shall be a Director of IFSTA in order to comply with UK Company Law.
- The CEO shall not have voting rights at any IFSTA meeting.
Secretary of the IFSTA
- The secretary shall be nominated by STA UK. In order to comply with UK company law the Secretary shall be a director of IFSTA.
- The Secretary shall keep Minutes of meetings of Council in a Minute Book.
- The Secretary shall be responsible for the storage and maintenance of all IFSTA records and correspondence.
- The Secretary shall be the UK’s representative on Council
- The Secretary shall be entitled to vote as the STA UK’s representative.
- Each new applicant must pay a Joining Application fee which shall be payable in advance at a rate to be decided by Council from time to time.
- The amount of Annual Membership Fee shall be decided by Council from time to time
- A Member whose Membership Fees are in arrears for over TWO years shall be deemed to have resigned their membership, unless where the Council are satisfied that exceptional circumstances apply.
- Joining Application fee and Annual Membership fees paid by new applicants for membership shall be refunded if Council decide to reject the application for membership.
- There shall be different levels of fees payable by different types of members based on membership levels of the individual members. These shall be decided by Council from time to time.
- All moneys raised by or on behalf of the Federation shall be applied to further the objects of the Federation and for no other purpose provided that nothing herein contained shall prevent the payment of legitimate out of pocket expenses to Members of the Federation engaged upon the approved business of the Federation.
- The Financial year shall be defined by the Council.
- The CEO shall keep proper accounts of the finances of the Federation.
- The Council shall decide on Cheque signatories.
- The accounts shall be presented to the Annual General Meeting by the CEO who shall be responsible for their certification as an accurate reflection of the financial activities of the Federation.
- The funds of IFSTA shall be administered by Council, to pay for administration costs, to support if necessary IFSTA conferences, to build up a fund for future developments, for the support of projects in developing nations that further the objects of the IFSTA and any other expenditure that furthers the IFSTA objective and is approved by Council.
Copyright Rules Governing the Use of the IFSTA Logo and Royalties
- The IFSTA logo is the copyright of the STA UK that is on free Permanent loan to the IFSTA.
- Members may use the IFSTA logo on their letterheads and free promotional literature without charge.
- Members may use the IFSTA logo on their certificates, and all other items or materials sold, provided that they pay the relevant quantity fees as decided by Council from time to time.
- The IFSTA logo may be used on certificates or literature, provided Members do not claim that their courses or their certificates standards are approved by IFSTA.
- Members can only use the IFSTA logo to indicate membership of IFSTA and or qualifications recognised or accredited by the IFSTA and only if the qualification has been approved, in writing, by the IFSTA.
- Members may apply to IFSTA to have qualifications approved or accredited by IFSTA.
- The Council of IFSTA shall decide on all charges for the use of the IFSTA logo.
- All funds raised from the use of the IFSTA logo shall be used to promote the objective of the federation.
Competition Between Member Associations
- Members of the IFSTA should not seek business in nations in which there is an existing IFSTA Full or Associate Member. Subject to the wishes and requirements of any customer or potential customer, if a Member is invited to run a training course or carry out any other activity in a nation in which there is a IFSTA Full or Associate Member the following procedures will take place:
- The member invited to run the course or carry out any other competing activity will write to the CEO of the IFSTA Member of the nation in which the proposed activity will take place.
- Details will be provided of the course type(s) and requested date(s) or in the case of prospective membership full details of the applicant(s) and invite the member to take on the activity.
- On receipt of such details the CEO of the informed member shall advise the informing member, within 14 days, whether they wish to take on this activity.
- If the CEO of the informed member does not reply within 14 days the informing member shall be at liberty to carry out the activity notwithstanding the fact that it could be construed as amounting to competition.
- If the informed member can not carry out the training due to lack of resources or skills this is not grounds for refusing the informing member the opportunity of carrying out activities in pursuance of the objectives of the IFSTA.
Special General Meetings
- The Council may at any time at its discretion and shall upon a requisition signed by not less than one third of it’s members having the power to vote and giving reasons for the request, call a Special General Meeting of the Federation for the purpose of altering the Constitution in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution or of considering any matter which may be referred to them by the Council for any other purpose.
Procedures at All Meetings of the IFSTA
- Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, all questions arising at any meeting shall be decided by simple majority of those present and entitled to vote thereat. (In the event of an equality of votes the President or Chairman at the time shall have a second or casting vote.)
- Minute Books shall be kept by the Secretary and all other sub-committees and the appropriate secretary shall enter therein a record of all proceedings, resolutions and decisions.
- The quorum at Council meetings shall be four full members attending and entitled to vote.
- The quorum at sub committees shall be one third of the members of the Sub-Committee; subject to a minimum of 100% if the sub committee has 3 or less members.
- The quorum at Annual General Meetings shall be one third of Members attending and entitled to vote.
- The Council shall have power to adopt and issue standing orders and/or rules for the Federation. Such standing orders and/or rules shall come into operation immediately provided always that they shall be subject to review by the Federation in General Meeting and shall not be inconsistent with this constitution.
Alterations to the Constitution
- Any alterations to this Constitution shall receive the assent of not less than two thirds of the members of the Federation present and entitled to vote at the Annual General Meeting or a meeting specially called for the purpose provided that notice of any alteration shall have been received by the Secretary in writing not less than 30 clear days before the meeting at which the alteration is brought forward.
- At least 21 days clear notice in writing of the meeting setting forth the terms of the alteration to be proposed shall be sent by the Secretary to each member of the Federation provided further that no alteration shall be made which would cause the Federation to cease to be a limited company at law.
- If the Council by a simple majority decide at any time that on the grounds of expense or otherwise it is necessary or advisable to dissolve the Federation they shall call a meeting of all members of the Federation who have the power to vote of which meeting not less than 21 days notice (stating the terms of the resolution to be proposed thereat) shall be given.
- If such a decision shall be confirmed by a simple majority of those present and voting at such a meeting the Council shall have power to dispose of any assets held by or in the name of the Federation.
- The Federation shall indemnify and keep indemnified every officer, member, volunteer and employee of the Federation from and against all claims, demands, actions and proceedings (and all costs and expenses in connection therewith or therefrom) made or brought against the Federation in connection with its activities, the actions of its officers, members, volunteers or employees, or in connection with its property and equipment but this indemnity shall not extend to liabilities arising from willful and individual fraud, wrongdoing or wrongful omission on the part of the officer, member, volunteer or employee sought to be made liable. The accounting officer (CEO) shall effect a policy of insurance in respect of this indemnity.
- A schedule of Fees agreed by Council shall be attached to the Constitution for the information of Members and aspirant members.
- The schedule of Fees may be altered at any time by a simple majority of Council.
Certificates of Competence
- The IFSTA will produce Certificates of Competence; these will be available to be issued to members of National Associations who can demonstrate that they have passed a qualifying examination approved by the Council of the IFSTA There will be a charge for each certificate issued.
Address of STA (UK) and IFSTA for correspondence:
Approved by the members on Wednesday 23rd October 2013 at the Seminaris SeeHotel Potsdam, Germany.